Monday, May 2, 2011

Ambrosia

The city becomes still as the dead for the first hours of a blackout. Nobody quite knows what to do when they can no longer watch their TV or play on their other electronic doodads. But then they slowly creep back up to the surface, wide eyed and uncomprehending, like monkeys descending for the first time from the trees. Then they all slowly made their way to the smell of pie. I did not blame them. I took in a large inhale as I walked towards it myself.
"Do you smell that?" I asked Koraki with a sigh. "Sweet Potato Pie with marshmallows and cinnamon... I used to make that with my grandmother when I was a girl..."
I can't smell it. But everyone else seems quite enamored, He remarked. They should be. It was the smell of Ambrosia... I had to have some. Among the flocking crowd, I could see only one man who had the will power to walk away. I admired him for it, but not enough to follow his example.

No comments:

Post a Comment