Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Black Garden

I often go for walks for a change of scenery as I knit. Watershed Heights is too interesting to not go outside and people watch. One of my favorite places to do so was the wild overgrown rooftop garden on the top of my building. I liked to call it the Black Garden. It gave a mystical sound to it. I sat on a bench beside the parapet and watched the people on the street below.
"They look so small from here," I observed.
Indeed they do, Koraki agreed, Everything is small from someone elses veiwpoint.
"How so?" I asked.
Well, nobody elses problems are as big and important as you are, or so it seems to humans. Your own self interest dominates over others. Koraki explained, ruffling his feathers. Take for example that man down there. I followed his line of sight and saw a naked man sitting in the childrens playground across the street. Once someone sees him, they judge him for being the way he is. Nobody stops to wonder what he went through to get there or what hardships he has faced. All they know is that he is an inconvinence to them.
"I never thought about it like that. We humans are rather selfish creatures aren't we?" I asked.
Most humans. But not all of them, He said, pecking me on the cheek affectionatly. You're not like them.

1 comment:

  1. I went up the stairs and onto the roof top garden. I closed my eyes and breathed in the semi fresh air and waited for all the thoughts to clear from my head. A bird screech suddenly broke my meditation. I opened my eyes to see an older looking woman looking over the buildings edge with a black crow on her shoulder. Interesting...I wondered if it was her pet. The lady turned around after the bird schreeched at her again. Oh boy, here it comes. She's either going to scream and run away, yell at me to not be such a freak, give me a weird look, or quickly turn back around and pretend I'm not there. Instead, she smiled at me and gave a quick wave. A flutter of happiness ran through my body. She hadn't looked at me like I was from Hell or that I needed to be different. She just smiled at me, like I was a person... I hadnt realized how much I needed that until this woman had done just that. I smiled back and waved. She nodded and then turned back to the scenery. If only my real mother looked at me like that, instead of the way everyone else looked at me. This woman, whoever she was, had made my day. I sighed and sat onto the edge of the ledge. Maybe there was hope for humanity after all...

    ReplyDelete