Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tongues that Lick the Sky

You saw the strangest things at carnivals. Creepy clowns hand in hand with women, goths with trash bags, something that wreathed inside the ball pit, but still no exit.
"It is like they don't want you to get away." I said to Koraki. Which was most likely exactly the point. But Koraki was not paying attention, and was looking over his shoulder where the din of the crowd was growing.
Something is going on, he said. I turned to see what he meant, and was nearly run over by the crowd of people rushing past me to get away. Smoke rose over the tops of the tents and at that moment there was a small explosion as the bootlegger's alcohol burst into flames.
Fire! Koraki yelled. Panic welled up inside of me. How were we ever to get away if we could not find the exits?
"Fly! Get away from here!" I yelled at him, trying to throw him into the sky. But he just dug his talons deeper into my shoulder.
I am not leaving you here!
"Go!" I said again. "If I perish, I will join you soon in the sky!"
Koraki gave me a look of extreme sorrow and guilt before he flew away, disappearing into the smoke and out of sight.
"Be safe my love..." I sighed after him.

No comments:

Post a Comment